This is another recipe from the NomNomPaleo ipad app ! Awesome. Like usual, I kind of improvised the recipe, but you can see my trusty ipad in the photos to prove that I actually kind of read the recipe this time. You can see the full recipe on nomnompaleo.com too!
Bacon topped meatloaf. Pork on pork action with a side of spinach. Yum. Yes, I burnt the bacon because I got distracted. Whoopsie.
Super Porktastic Meatloaf from Nomnompaleo.com – Serves 4-6
- 1 pound frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (or coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion (from 1/2 medium onion)
- 1/2 pound Cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut cream or coconut milk
- 1/2 cup small-dice celery (from about 2 medium stalks)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 pound ground pork (the original recipe calls for 1 ¼ pounds of pork, veal, or beef but I only had 1 pound of ground pork defrosted)
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3-5 bacon slices
- Tomato sauce, warmed, for serving (optional)
Chop your celery, shrooms and onion. Don’t get your iPad dirty.
Frozen spinach is your friend. One of the store-brands (Compliments) packages it in these nuggets rather than a brick. It is very handy to just use half a package instead of the whole thing.
Frying the chopped shrooms and onions
Coconut flour, nutmeg, spinach, pork
Added in the eggs and the blend of coconut milk, celery, that you mixed with your immersion blender
I baked it in mini loaf pans. With bacon on top. Mmm bacon.
And when I broiled the bacon I got distracted by a phone call. ARGH. So it burnt a bit.
I would venture a guess that this would freeze well uncooked and you could just pop it in the oven once thawed.